Delta Airlines Change Flight Policy
Delta Airlines has stopped charging passengers to change routes within the United States or international flights originating in the U.S. The only requirement is to pay the difference when your new flight is more expensive. The fee waiver doesn't apply for Basic Economy tickets, which aren't able to be canceled or changed unless they are covered by the 2021 Basic Economy Changeability Waiver (explained below).
Delta Flight Change policy permits you to alter the details of your flight (date, time, or destination) or request an exchange via an eCredit under certain circumstances.
Below is a brief overview of Delta Airlines new change flight policy:
- You are able to change the date, time or place within 24 hours of making the booking without having to pay a change fee, regardless of cost (i.e. that includes non-refundable tickets).
- The Delta change fees for flights have been eliminated for all international and domestic flights that originate in North America to any destination. This includes:
- Basic Economy tickets purchased up to April 30th 2021*. (*Some tickets can be exchanged for a charge like those that come of Africa, Europe, and other regions of the world. For more information, consult the ticket).
- Only tickets issued by Delta, therefore, if you purchased tickets on a Delta ticket on other airline, you'll need be sure to verify the airline's flight change policy.
- All international flights operated by Delta's codeshare or joint venture partners, so long as the tickets were provided by Delta.
- Change fees have also been eliminated on all flights that connect the United States, Mexico, and the Caribbean (both ways) inclusive. Tickets in the Basic Economy class booked prior to April 30, 2021.
- Tickets that are refundable can be modified at any time up to 24 hours prior to departure without paying a change charge, however, you must pay the fare difference applicable to the ticket.
- Award tickets are not subject to any fees for changes (if modified prior to departure):
- In the United States, Puerto Rico and Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- On international flights , travel originates from North America.
- Same-day modifications (within the 24 hour period of leaving) are allowed within the United States, Puerto Rico and the USVI at a cost beginning from USD 75. However, same-day flights are free for Diamond Platinum, Diamond or Gold Medallion members. Tickets for international flights and Basic Economy tickets are not suitable for same-day changes. For more details, see the section called Delta Airlines Same-Day Flight Change Policy below.
- The expiry date for all tickets that expire or were purchased by 2021 has been extended until December 31, 2022.
- If you modify the date of your current flight on the internet, the new changes will be applicable to all passengers on your reservation.
- If you wish to alter the ticket issued by a third-party, you could incur an additional cost (by this third party).
If you are unsure or require assistance, dial Delta Airlines change flight phone number at +1-844-903-1897.
Cost of changing a flight on Delta Airlines
What is the cost to alter an itinerary on Delta Airlines?
If your flight doesn't meet the criteria for an exemption from change fees and you wish to make a change, the price for changing the flight could range between USD 200 and 500 depending on the flight route. Be aware that Basic Economy tickets are non-changeable and are not refundable unless they are in a travel fee waiver or you decide to cancel within the 24-hour period and rebook the flight to meet your new needs.
Delta Airlines Change Fee Waiver for Basic Economy Tickets from 2021
Can you make a change to your flight with Delta Airlines on a Basic Economy ticket?
Delta Airlines has waived the change fee on Basic Economy tickets through December 31st 2021 (inclusive). While Basic Economy tickets are generally non-changeable, you may change every Basic Economy flight ticket without having to pay a change fee for this time.
There are a variety of options. If you know the date you'll travel in the near future, you can book your ticket right away. You can also cancel the ticket and receive an amount equal to the amount of your ticket. book it again until the 31st of December, 2021 and begin your journey before December 31st 2022. If your new ticket is less expensive than the first flight, you'll receive an credit for the difference in price and can be used to use for any future travel. If your new trip is more expensive, you'll be required to pay for the fare difference.
Delta Airlines Flight Change Policy--North America and the Caribbean
You are able to change any ticket (except the Basic Economy) without paying any change cost.
This is applicable to:
- Tickets that originate in North America to anywhere in the world.
- Tickets from the Caribbean from the Caribbean to North America and Mexico (both ways).
- Basic Economy tickets will be covered under Delta's Basic Economy Changeability Waiver.
Delta Airlines Flight Change Policy--Outside of North America
Delta will temporarily suspend change of flight for all flights that originate from outside North America that were purchased between May 1 and 2021. This means that you can alter any flight departing out of North America without paying a change fee. Change fee waivers apply for all class of fare with the exception of Basic Economy; however, certain Basic Economy tickets can be altered for a nominal fee according to the directions on the ticket.
Delta Airlines Same-Day Flight Change Policy
Delta lets you make the same-day change to your ticket within 24 hours of the original scheduled departure time for your flight. The same-day flight change is dependent on seat availability and are only available for:
- In the same class of travel and routing on the same route on a Main Cabin seat.
- For travel within United States, Puerto Rico as well as to the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- On-line during check-in, or via using the Fly Delta mobile app (subject to availability).
Exceptions. The same-day change of flight cannot be changed to:
- Basic Economy
- International routes
- Airports with the same city of origin or destination (JFK up to LGA)
Standby Upgrades Same-Day
You can take advantage of Delta's standby upgrade service on the same day for upgrading your seats at cost depending on the availability of space. This option is only available to:
- In North America, but does not include JFK's SFO and JFK's LAX.
- From or to St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands), San Juan (Puerto Rico), Providenciales (Turks and Caicos), Nassau (Bahamas), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Los Cabos (Mexico), Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), Bermuda, and Aruba.
- Between Atlanta between Atlanta St. Lucia, St. Maarten Between St. Lucia and Atlanta, as well as Costa Rica.
- Between Cancun (Mexico) and Minneapolis, Memphis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Atlanta, and Detroit.